Thursday, May 8, 2008

About perfectionism.



So you are eating clean and exercising regularly, for a week, two, three. Everything is perfect.
Then something gets in your way. Let's say, it is a piece of chocolate, your favorite, and this one proved to be irresistible, unlike all the ones you saw in the 3 previous weeks.
You have the piece of chocolate.
You blame yourself for having a piece of chocolate.
You get in a bad mood...
You miss your work out.
It is all downhill from there...
Sounds familiar?
Why does this happen?
You do it 100% or don't do it at all? You are that kinda guy/gal, right?

" I am a perfectionist", you say.

Well, perfectionism is not good when it comes to fitness.

To tell you the truth, I don't really know when it is good.

I 've been trying to break myself off the perfectionist way of thinking for the most of my adult life - thanks, mom!.

So, what is happening here?

By setting perfect goals we set ourselves for disappointment. Life isn't perfect! So many things are out of our control!
And yet we expect a perfect performance out of ourselves? That makes no sense, if you think about it for a moment.

The perfect version of me would freak out and give up at the first sign of things not going my way.
In the imperfect version of me, when things don't go "according to the plan", I get myself up, dust myself off and tell myself "Move on!!!"

Since I adapted the "imperfect" way of thinking, I've been able to start things and stick with them. When I was doing Slim in 6,

I did not expect 100% out of each work out, or 100% of scheduled work outs. I accepted 90%, 80%. And yet, I got results!

2 comments:

Coach Barbie, PhD said...

Jenny, I couldn't agree with you more! PERFECTION IS NOT NECESSARY, nor is it even RECOMMENDED!! Love your blog, baby!!

Barbie

Sareece said...

I needed to read that after this week. It's been a rough week, I've gained a few pounds, and need to get back on the horse. Thanks for sharing this!