Friday, May 16, 2008

Changing habits, Part2 - Negative Thinking


I have a problem.
No matter how much progress I make, every time I look in a mirror, I see the things I don't like:

-My arms and shoulders are too fat
-My belly fat will never disappear!
-I hate my posture!

On the other hand, a friend I made on the BeachBody Forums gives herself a positive review every time she completes a program.
She somehow finds improvements in her body almost every day, while I need others to point them out to me.

Why am I so blind?

Come to think of it, it apples not only to my appearance.
Whenever I complete a complex assignment at work, I don't feel elated, I feel exhausted.
I catch myself thinking bitterly: " If I were smart I'd have done it a long time ago and I should have done it better ... "

Well, you get the drift.

The other day I was talking to my mother who is in her 70es. We were talking about computers and she started seriously putting herself down
for her computer skills! I mean, WOW! English isn't even her first language; she had a computer for only a few years!
Let me tell you - the woman can create masterpieces using Microsoft Paint! I am not kidding! She creates amazing photo collages!
She sends the cutest self-made electronic birthday cards! And she is telling me she is no good?!?

Well, yeah, I know who I am getting that from....But weather it is in my brains chemistry or acquired second hand from the environment I grew up in, the fact is that
with anything I do I put a double shift : first - doing the thing, second - fighting my own negativity!

That's insane, is it not?

But identifying the problem is 50% of the solution. So I have a bad habit. I am going to change it.

From now on when I look in a mirror and I will force myself to notice positive things first.
And in fairness:

- I am already standing much straighter!
- My arms are stronger, therefore will get leaner soon enough!
- My belly is firmer then it was when I was 20!
- And, and, and - I will think of more good things as time goes by!

It took my body 7 months to adjust to a new way of eating, I give myself as much for changing my negative thinking.
I am in no rush!

No comments: