Monday, October 20, 2008

Is there kryptonite in NYC water?


I am in a dangerous state of mind. Maybe some kryptonite filtered into New York City water, I am feeling pumped and raring to go!
I did my core synergistics in the morning, ate clean all day and still I want to go for a 2 miles interval run in the evening?
What's going on? And, more importantly, should I be trusting this sudden burst of energy?

In the last year of working out with various exercise programs I had ups and I had downs.
What I've learned about ups that while the energy outbursts are enjoyable they

a) don't last very long
b) if indulged in too much, may lead to overtraining!

Overtraining is an unpleasant thing. It starts as a feeling "out of all of it" , "not quite all there" feeling and "totally not up to it" feeling.
Before I figured put what it was, I would wake up, plug in the DVD and just sit on a couch and find myself unable to move a muscle!
I wanted to exercise, I woke up for it and got dressed for it, why was I not able to bring it?
It was very frustrating: I wanted to reach my goals, but my body refused to comply.
Then I read on some thread about overtraining, and it became clear what's going on - I was not sick or lazy or lacking motivation, I was overtrained.
So, instead of struggling with it, I gave myself some time off, and after a while my body was able to do what my mind wanted it to do.

These feeling maybe accompanied by serious symptoms such as increased heart rate, insomnia, loss of appetite, sudden onset of colds and injuries.
Body and muscle aches plaque an overtrained person, as well as fatigue, headaches and depression.

Sounds like a unpleasant situation? That's because it is, and that's why one should really try to avoid it.

Overtraining is training beyond the body's ability to recover. So, if one gives one's body enough time to recover, he or she will avoid overtraining.
Sounds simple enough, but in practice it is not easy at all. Everyone's body is different, therefore the symptoms are different, so each person has to learn from his or her own experience how to recognize the onset of overtraining syndrome.
This is why it is so important to keep training a training log and listen to your body. To make sure you are getting enough rest, you can check your heart rate every morning upon waking up, and. if notice any marked increase, take it easy for a day or too.

Or you can use the orthostatic heart rate test developed by Heikki Rusko.

This is how to go about that:

Lay down and rest comfortably for 10 minutes the same time each day (morning is best).
At the end of 10 minutes, record your heart rate in beats per minute.
Then stand up
After 15 seconds, take a second heart rate in beats per minute.
After 90 seconds, take a third heart rate in beats per minute.
After 120 seconds, take a fourth heart rate in beats per minute.
If you are well rested, this will show a consistent heart rate between measurements,
but Rusko found a marked increase (10 beats/minutes or more) in the 120 second-post-standing measurement
of athletes on the verge of overtraining.
Such a change may indicate that you have not recovered from a previous workout,
are fatigued, or otherwise stressed and it may be helpful to reduce training or rest another day
before performing another workout.

I wish I could say that I only overtrained once. No, it happened again, and now although I learned to recognize the symptom of the onset overtraining, I am still not
sure if I learned to avoid it all together. But I am very cautious with my ups, knowing that they quickly lead to somewhat long downs, so it is much better to go slow and steady then overtrain and hit the wall. Kryptonite or not, I am giving serious consideration to my impulse to double up any of my workouts today, or any day!
I hope you do the same!

No comments: